- Bite on a moist gauze pad (place over each surgical site) changing it for 30-60 minutes until the bleeding stops completely. Light oozing is normal throughout the day of surgery.
- Apply ice packs to the outside of your face for a minimum of 24 hours after your surgery. Pain can peak after 48-72 hours.
- Do not vigorously rinse or spit for 24 hours. Brushing is important for the healing process. Brush gently around the surgical sites as bleeding and tenderness is common the night of your surgery. After 24 hours, please gently swish with warm salt water, do this after meals and before bedtime. You may resume normal oral hygiene (brushing and flossing) 24 hours after surgery.
- Do not drink through a straw or smoke for 1 week. These actions are the main cause)s) of dry socket.
- Liquid diet is requested for the rest of the day (nothing with food particles), foods such as yogurt, pudding, smoothies, shakes. Soft food diet the following day.
- Please avoid any physical activity including lifting and bending for at least 3-5 days. Ease back into exercise when ready. Throbbing at the surgical site is normal and will subside, but take it slow.
After Tooth Extraction with Bone Grafting
- You may experience grittiness in your mouth because we overpack the socket with bone- DO NOT be alarmed, you are not losing your graft.
- Sutures will dissolve within 14-22 days after surgery
- Chew on the opposite side of the mouth to let the bone graft heal (3-4 Months)