The time has finally come. You’ve decided to have dental implants placed with Dr. Seth R. Brooks of Oklahoma Dental Implants & Oral Surgery. We are so excited for you and the life change you’re about to experience!
In order to help you prepare for your big day (and your recovery), we’ve put together some important information about what you can expect during your recovery period after dental implants placement.
Ensure a Safe and Effective Recovery by Following Dr. Seth R. Brooks’ Post-Op Instructions
After Dr. Seth R. Brooks places your dental implants at his Norman office, you will be released to the care of a friend or family member who can take you safely home. You will take home a post-op information sheet which you should pay careful attention to. Some of the specifics included in this document are:
- Do not disturb the wound. Norman patients should be careful to avoid rinsing, spitting, or touching their wound(s) on the day of surgery. Doing so could cause irritation or discomfort.
- Some bleeding is normal. Patients may notice bleeding or redness in their saliva during the first 24 hours after dental implants placement. This is considered normal; however, if you experience excessive and persistent bleeding, call Dr. Seth R. Brooks for further instructions.
- Minor swelling should be expected. Most Norman dental implants patients experience some degree of swelling after dental implants surgery. In order to mitigate swelling, apply an ice pack on the outside of the face in 15-minute increments over a 36-hour period.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Keeping your body hydrated after dental implants surgery is important and will aid in your recovery. However, be sure to avoid hot liquids or very cold liquids as either extreme could cause discomfort. Additionally, Norman patients should avoid drinking from a straw during recovery and should only sip from an open cup when consuming liquids.
- Take pain medication as prescribed by Dr. Seth R. Brooks. Patients should begin taking pain medication as soon as they feel their local anesthetic begin to wear off. For most Norman dental implants patients, Dr. Seth R. Brooks recommends one or two Tylenol or Extra Strength Tylenol every three to four hours for moderate pain. Patients may also use Ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin) instead of Tylenol. Two to three 200 mg tablets are allowed every three to four hours as needed for pain.
- Take antibiotics as prescribed. Be diligent in taking the prescribed antibiotics as directed by Dr. Seth R. Brooks to help prevent infection.
- Maintain proper oral hygiene. The night of your dental implants surgery, use the prescribed Peridex Oral Rinse before you go to bed. The day after surgery, the Peridex should be used twice daily—after breakfast and before bed. Patients should also use warm salt- water rinses (a teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water) at least 4-5 times a day, especially after meals. Additionally, be sure to brush your teeth and the healing abutments, being gentle when brushing near the surgical areas.
- Avoid exercise. Do not exercise in the days following your surgery, as throbbing or bleeding may occur. Only return to your normal exercise routine once you’ve been cleared by Dr. Seth R. Brooks.
Call Dr. Seth R. Brooks at Oklahoma Dental Implants & Oral Surgery to Schedule Your Initial Consultation
If you’re ready to find out how dental implants can change your life, or if you have any questions about the recovery period, call our office today at (405) 329-3500, and a member of our friendly team will be happy to assist you.